Bent-Arm Barbell Pullover
If you haven’t read Best Upper Back Exercises we recommend you check that article out first. It will explain why you should start off your back workout with the Bent-Arm Barbell Pullover as well as offer some helpful advice on building your back. Ok, ready to move on? Keep reading.
The Bent-Arm Barbell Pullover is a great strength building exercise for the lats as well as the chest, shoulders and triceps. All you need is a barbell and a flat exercise bench to lie down on.
It isn’t especially hard to perform and gives you a great “stretch” in the lats as well as in the chest area.
This is why it’s a great warm-up. Find out how to do this easy and effective upper back exercise below.
HOW TO DO THE BENT-ARM BARBELL PULLOVER
- 1. Before you can begin this exercise, you need a short barbell and a flat padded exercise bench to lie down on.
- 2. Start by lying down on your exercise bench, holding the barbell above you with a grip separated about shoulder width. It is very important that your grip is pronated. This means you should be looking at the back of your hands while in the starting position.
- 3. Now, bend your arms slightly and center the barbell over your chest. You are now in the starting position.
- 4. Maintaining your bent arms, you should carefully bring the weight downward in an arcing path that will end behind and below your head. You should be breathing in during this part of the exercise and should feel a nice stretch in your chest.
- 5. Hold the barbell at the deepest point of the exercise for a second, before returning to your start position. Keep going for 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps each.
Then head onto the next exercise for your upper back workout- the Straight-Arm Lat Pulldown or Cable Pullover.
Mix it Up- Use an E-Z Curl Bar or a pair of dumbbells to perform this exercise and you may find you like it more than using a barbell. We recommend trying all the different possibilities so you can find the most effective equipment for you.