Best Calf Muscle Exercises – Donkey Calf Raise
Donkey Calf Raise
In order to perform these calf muscle exercises you need a donkey calf raise machine. Once you have found one (hopefully your local gym has it) you can get started.This is the hardest part, and once you find your donkey calf raise machine performing these calf muscle exercises are easy (at least as easy as any bodybuilding workout).
Also Read: Smith Machine Calf Raises
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS – DONKEY CALF RAISE
- 1. Simple start off by putting your hips and lower back underneath the padded lever on the machine. Be sure that your tailbone is in contact with the pad.
- 2. Next, grab the side handles and put the balls of your feet on the calf block- heels pushing out. Make sure to line up your toes either forward, outward or inward. The alignment of your toes will change what specific area of the calf you are working and it is recommended to switch up your area of emphasis during your calf muscle exercises, for a better, all around calf workout.
- 3. In order to perform the donkey calf raise, you’ll need to start by lifting your heels upward as you’re breathing out and pushing your ankles as high into the air as you can. While you are doing this, be sure to flex your calf for a better workout. It is important that your knee is always solidly still, because you don’t want to wobble at all during this calf exercise. No bending forwards or backwards is a must as well. Be sure to hold your top contracted position for at least a second before you slowly, and in a controlled manner, begin your descent back to the start position.
- 4. Be sure to slowly return to the beginning position and while doing so, breath in and let the heels relax back to the calf block as you are bending the ankles so that your calves are stretched.
- 5. Continue this calf muscle exercise for your prescribed number of reps and look forward to massive calves.
ALTERNATIVE TO USING THE DONKEY CALF RAISE MACHINE
Unfortunately, not all gyms carry this piece of equipment and if you don’t have access to the machine, but still have a calf block and something solid that you can hold onto you are in luck. In fact, you can use a person as resistance, just let them sit on your lower back (tailbone) while you are doing the above steps. Hold onto the sturdy object during the donkey calf raise, the same as you would if it were handles on the machine.
INSTRUCTION VIDEO – DONKEY CALF RAISE
Video and Featured Image: Instructional Fitness https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC27RJnerJdcZIAXQayT01Kw